Thursday, January 22, 2009

A New Hope - No Sith Lords Allowed

Sometimes the smallest and most surprising thing can make your day. It's been roughly a year and a half since I returned from my mission, and have fallen out of contact with most of the people I knew there, but yesterday to my surprise, one of my friends and people I helped convert e-mailed me and we e-mailed back and forth a bit.
To give a bit of background, Marisol is an independent young lady, who is an English teacher, she's about 25 or 26 if I recall, but was afraid of what her parents would say or do if they found out she became baptized, because they were very active Catholics.
So to help her out we taught her in the houses of members, which helped her get to know some of the members too. Well she also was having boyfriend problems, who viewed the church as United States thing and was against the country as well. This was also my last area, and so as her parents found out, an argument with a love-struck RM, and with pressures from her boyfriend it appeared that she would slip into inactivity.
In the last few weeks of my mission, that RM was upset that she wasn't going, and thought that we as missionaries did not do our jobs because she was going inactive, and that it would have been better to have not baptized her at all as, in his opinion, she had major doubts.
So as I left, it looked as if she would get married to her boyfriend, most likely in the Catholic church to appease her parents and it did look that she would not be coming to church again.

Well now two years later it turns out that not only did she not marry the bum (She had told us a little of what was going on between them) but she's active and has even entered the temple.

So I just want to say that it is spectacular, and that for those of you who have served or about to serve, that you just need to do your best, and do all that you can and you never know what great things will come of it.

And it appears that only one person wants cookies?

No comments: