Monday, July 28, 2008

What's in a name.

I though of posting a huge long exposition as to what was occurring when I took up the nym of SARRMM, but truth be told, that tale is grim and harrowing, and there's nothing funny about that period of time, well not yet anyways.

Now this is the story all about how
My life got flipped, turned upside down
And I’d like to take a minute just sit right there
I’ll tell you how I became SARRMM of the 100 Hour Board

Yeah, I best not slaughter the theme song to the Fresh Prince of Bel Aire, tis far too sacred to commit such sacrilege.
So to get to the point, I was two months of my mission when school started September 2007, I soon saw my own social inadequacies, the lack of social grace due to the mission and perhaps due to earlier pre-mission dorkiness. With class difficulty and dating troubles, my own self esteem and self worth plummeted until I lost almost all desire to actually live my life and for a small period of time in November skipped my classes, and stayed in my apartment messing around on my computer and going to work at wal-mart. I managed to pull myself out of the hole with help from a friend, but not in time to salvage most of my grades. But all along that time I wasn't social, I hardly did anything with friends and just viewed myself as a social geek, and believing a self perpetuated lie that I hadn't progressed.

At the same time I visited a friend at the Library security desk, talking with him, relieving pressures and all that. He starts talking about a website where students answer questions anonymously, the 100 Hour Board. After a bit I posed some questions, and my friend actually asked them, using my full actual name to my surprise when I started viewing it. (You can easily find them if you search) When I asked my first question it was as the Super Awkward Recently Returned Missionary Man.
I also started using that name for other questions. Sometimes I asked using it, sometimes I didn't, but as time passed, I started feeling better about myself, started dating a lovely lady and posted a question with a change to the SARRMM.

In a way it was symbolic, because I was overcoming myself and thus wasn't so super awkward, or such an RM, the debate is still up in air about 'Man' though. Heh heh.
Around March or so, I found the Board Message Board where I was dubbed Sam in attempts to discern a nickname for me, and around May or so the N crept up to my name.

So that is the story
that I had to tell y'all
of a little salt lake boy
and his strange strange name.


I believe SWKT was asked about as well, SWKT is another person that is on the message board as well, who is probably a secondary account of someone's. SWKT started out snarky, and antagonistic, but of late SWKT has grown on me. I would tell more, but the world isn't ready for more.

Well there you go! Have a great monday!

No comments: