Sunday, February 8, 2009

Revolutionary Family

Today I decided to do some family research, seeing as I haven't done some in a while, and found something cool.

I was following some genealogical line and I found that I am related to one Captain Samuel Bliss of the Revolutionary War.

To be more specific I am Timothy Bliss's 8th Great Grandson, who is Samuel Bliss's brother making him my 8th Great Grand Uncle.

According to this site here, Captain Samuel Bliss led 43 minute-men from April, 19 1775 to April 27th, for 8 days.

He was also a Captain under Col. Timothy Walker's Regiment in the latter part of 1775, he also served under Captain Slade and was General George Washington's steward in 1777 in Morristown.

I have to admit, this is pretty awesome, cooler than discovering my great grandfather died in the Civil War as a Confederate soldier.

I'll let you all know when I find someone else cool that I am related to, or something awesome that a family member did.

Also, my Aunt is a 17th generation descendant of Pocahontas, So through my Uncle's marriage to my Aunt, I am sort of related to her as well.

3 comments:

Unit of Energy said...

Actually being the brother of an eighth great grandfather makes him your ninth great uncle. your grandfather's brother is your first great uncle.

And I'm related to a woman name Jeanne d'arc.

Sam, The Nanti-SARRMM said...

I dunno, I am just going off what PAF's relationship calculator says.

And is Jeanne d'arc from France by chance?

Unit of Energy said...

no, unfortunately she was Canadian, but from a pretty pure French line of Canandians.