Tuesday, May 18, 2010

That's Just Shiz

Shiz. We all know that word. Perhaps it stemmed from the recently slangification of "shizzle" from the 90's and all. I hear it frequently, all going along with the Urban Dictionary definition of 'cool', or 'happening', or 'very good'.

But, being that I am of a peculiar LDS/Mormon upbringing, see it in a different light. Well, I see it in a different light cause I am weird actually. Anywho, there is this commander of an army by the name of Shiz. Now, he's quite the blood thirsty and relentless fellow. Sort of wants to take over everything and will destroy everything in his path to get it.

So speeding forward to the end of the book of Ether, Shiz gets his head cut off while unconscious by a guy named Coriantumr. But that isn't the end of it. Shiz still wants to live. It says in the Book of Mormon, "And it came to pass that after he [Coriantumr] had smitten off the head of Shiz, that Shiz raised up on his hands and fell; and after that he had struggled for breath, he died."

He raised up on his hands. His body refused to give up. Instead of just lying there with his head cut off, his arms worked, tried to raise up. He would not give up.

That is how I interpret things when Shiz is used. That it is an intense type of cool. That you like it more than a lot. That it isn't just a passing fancy, that it is something you think is undeniably awesome, so awesome you will still think it awesome on your last dying breath. Something you will forever desire to work for...

Ok, I am just saying things now, but still. I take Shiz to mean something more than just cool. I mean, the guy's arms and body would still not stop immediately. That is awesome right then and there.

So there you go, my definition of awesome.

No comments: