Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Royal Weddings

Society confuses me. All this excitement over Prince Williams' wedding is one of those things that confuses me.

I mean, I get why Britain is all excited about the royal wedding; it is inherent in their culture. They have always had kings, they have always had royalty. Even if their royalty are figure-heads, they are an important part of their culture and history. And so the British citizen will be happy for Prince Williams, and will be super excited.

What I don't get is, why are Americans excited about this wedding? Most Americans don't follow them, most Americans probably don't know Prince Williams tried serving as a soldier in Afghanistan, and had to stop because his cover was blown and his unit would be a juicy target if he didn't leave.

Apart from him serving in the armed forces; why should I care about his wedding? Or Jessica Simpson's, or any other celebrity? I don't know them, they don't know me. And honestly, it is probably a pain to air all the wedding details for everyone to know.

What I am saying, and to be rude, but their plans are none of my business. Cool, they're getting married. Huzzah. But beyond that, why on earth should I care?

Or for pop star celebrities like Jessica Simpson, why does her wedding matter to anyone? Yes, people like her as an actress and will be excited to hear that she is married... But a lot of people seem to be obsessed with it. And I just don't get it.

Why do we need to know what ring they got, how they were proposed to, and whatever else information? It doesn't matter. Truly, it doesn't.

And so I am here ranting, because people seem to be more excited than they should be.

1 comment:

Araignée said...

You mean you didn't get an invite? Free travel to/from, all-you-can eat for three days' festivities? Who wouldn't be excited?!

Just kidding. I definitely agree. Were it two kingdoms soon to be united, perhaps. But instead, a figurehead and an insignificant, neither of which will ever hold much sway in the real world? No thanks.